Thursday 18 March 2010

Understanding and applying critical theory

Semiotics is the study of signs and symbols within a system, and I have demonstrated this within my production in many ways. For example, by studying and deconstructing current media texts of my chosen genre, and using the generic conventions, I have been able to successfully achieve the results I was looking for to suite my target audience. Stereotypically, skiing in the eye of the general public is viewed as a past time for the more upper class, where middle aged people stay in log cabins and wear fur. So, taking this into account, in my production I have not directly aimed my production of the mass 'norm' of the general public. I have chosen to focus more upon the smaller niche market of freestyle and freeride skiers. However, I have tried to film and edit my production in such a way that it begins to shed light onto this completely new and exciting side of the sport for those that are unaware.

I have also used cultural relativism within my production. For example, after some research I have chosen to use a hip-hop music track as the backing music for my film, so applying this to semiotics, hip-hop is stereotypically used for this particular genre, therefore making my production more appealing to my target audience.

In terms of representation, I have put a lot of time into deconstructing current media texts and research to enable me to film and edit my production in such a way that I capture the excitement and atmosphere that the sport creates. In terms of my exam, I will be able to reference this as I feel that it is an area of production which I have greatly improved on. I also feel that this is reflected in my final piece.

During my practical production, I have greatly improved my camera, film and sound editing skills. This has enabled me to produce a more professional end product. Again, using the generic conventions of the genre, combined with my newly developed skills, I am able to capture the target audience's attention and maintain interest throughout.

No comments:

Post a Comment